Tuesday 20 September 2011

If music be the food of love, play on.

Bless Shakespeare and his marvellous creation Twelfth Night, 1602. From him I draw much inspiration when dealing with painfully ignorant and rude government beaurocrats, hiding behind policy, having long given up on going the extra mile. If music be the food of love, play on!

I have always tried to put myself in other people's shoes when dealing with them, despite my sometimes desperate and erratic state. Sadly, my failing, is that I do not always succeed. When you've been dealing with someone on a particularly long and drawn out matter, having reached the personal state of first names and hi's, I find it unbearably rude when they abruptly return, upon settlement of the matter, to the formal edit, Dear Miss or Madam. Can they not see the red flag that they are jumping up and down and waving in from of flared nostrils.....?

Over the years I have learnt not to take it personally, and that I cannot target any one particular sector with my scorn, nor is it dependant on a particular nation or cultural experience. It is, I understand, government-itis! The complete and blinding lack of sensitivity to ones current concerns. So I say in reply, have a lovely day, Dear Sir/Madam, thank you so very much for your help and kindness in this matter, it has been so deeply appreciated. Smiling openly, as they blanch, shuffle, struggle to make eye contact, and in not knowing exactly where I am coming from, smile back and mutter an uncertain your welcome.

If music be the food of love, play on!

No comments:

Post a Comment